So, It's Fall


Spending most of my time in long overcoats, looking haggard as all hell. This city is a total beast, but I can't seem to leave it, not even for a short while.

Anyways, I keep getting hits of that burnt leaf smell, which can only mean it's autumn. And with all of that -lanterns, masks, layers, changes, dying things, sleeping things, and my birthday (though, the first year I've thought of not celebrating it). Birthdays have a way of being utterly nostalgic, (pandering to tradition; cake, candles, gifts) and the past is something tricky for me, lately. So, I think I'll spend my birthday on a park bench somewhere, indulging in one of those trashy scented cigars while feeding pigeons, or something terrible like that.

Reading outside in the newly brisk air is another fall pleasure. I've been into "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay." It's otherwise written in a straightforward manner, but there are a few passages that have struck me and compelled me to read them over because they're so well crafted:

"And yet in her eyes there was something unreadable, something that did not want to be read, the determined blankness that in predator animals conceals hostile calculation, and in prey forms part of an overwhelming effort to seem to have disappeared." -Michael Chabon

3 comments:

Jeremytough said...

You need a mickey of Whiskey with you on your park bench, you know...to warm you up.

-Jeremy.
http://www.ibrokeup.net

Christine said...

Totally. Some Canadian Club.
http://community.adn.com/sites/community.adn.com/files/images/canadian_club_your_mom.preview.jpg

Jeremytough said...

incredible.