Of Quotes and Notes


"Nothing worse than a hanging coat in the dark, extended arms dripping folds of cloth, leer of darkface, to be tall, statuesque, motionless, slouch headed or hatted, silent... Memory and dream are intermixed in this mad universe." -Jack Kerouac (Doctor Sax and The Great World Snake)

"Starry heavens above and the moral law within." -Immanuel Kant (Written on his tombstone)

"O Friend, take my spirit hand and remember me. You were loved by a man who read your heart very tenderly, who sought your unformed dreams as his resting place. Think of my body from time to time."-Leonard Cohen (Beautiful Losers)

"Once, as he was recrossing his legs, he bumped one of the saucers on the table and made a clatter. He was more apologetic than he needed to be. He kept saying, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." I really fall for that kind of thing, for good manners. I have this feeling that people like that never do anything truly awful to anyone else." -Banana Yoshimoto (Asleep)

"Then let me start again, I cried, please let me start again, I want a face that's fair this time, I want a spirit that is calm." -Leonard Cohen (Lover Lover Lover lyrics)

No comments: