Gregory and the Hawk Hopes New Album "Hits the Spot"


Brooklyn-based solo-project Gregory and the Hawk aims to follow the gentle, melodic sway of its 2006 release, Boats & Birds EP, with a new full-length album set for release by the end of April this year.

Gregory and the Hawk is an acoustic project, created by sole member Meredith Godreau, who chooses to draw inspiration from her own experiences, from those of her friends or from the music she is listening to at the time.

Citing an affinity for writing, Godreau chooses the process of first generating the lyrics or theme for a song and then finding an acoustic accompaniment. She weaves her songs with lyrics dense in run-on sentences, pulling the listener along by a string of evocative images that ultimately relay a message. Godreau said, "If I don't have something specific to say, it's impossible to tell a story."

On its Myspace page, Gregory and the Hawk offers a sample track entitled "Kill The Turkey," which is to be included in the project's upcoming album. On this track, Godreau's somber yet sweet vocals fly over her simple, melodic guitar strumming. But this simplicity is misleading as the track is intensified by lyrics displaying a strong belief in animal rights. "Kill the turkey, kill the turkey, shoot him down, pluck his feathers, make him ground/ Make burgers, kill the cow, slit his throat, let him bleed, make steaks, make burgers good to eat."

Gregory and the Hawk is a four-year-old project that consciously keeps itself unsigned. Godreau acknowledges the benefits of having a record label, but chooses to remain unsigned saying, "I enjoy it right now because I can keep things at my own pace, make my own decisions and only take as much pressure as I put on myself."

Godreau is also aware of the challenges many solo, acoustic acts face, yet retains a positive attitude and feels that it can be overcome. "Not having a band means I have some trouble getting booked in certain places, but that is changing a little over time," said Godreau. "At first I could only play little coffee shops. Slowly I think people are starting to believe in me... that I can hold people's attention as well as a band."

The Brooklynite sings and plays the guitar but welcomes collaborative work with open arms, enabling the unfamiliar sounds of piano, bass and drums to soar through her vocals and strumming. Godreau has paid it forward by lending her voice to several music projects, many of which hail from Brooklyn as well. When asked if she'd ever consider adding another member to Gregory and the Hawk, Godreau said, "I think in the future there's a possibility that someone I know or meet may become a permanent member, but I can't tell right now."

Although the project is not professionally promoted, Gregory and the Hawk is taking flight and accumulating many loyal fans through its website and Myspace page. Fans are able to sample and purchase CDs from the project's site http://www.gregoryandthehawk.com/. T-shirts are also available and are designed by Godreau herself.

Gregory and the Hawk primarily tours in the States but aspires to tour in Canada following its album release in April. "I certainly hope to make it up to at least the eastern part of Canada sometime this year," said Godreau. "It's always difficult to find the time and the money to leave home for a while, especially when you have no label support and you're borrowing a car! But I will try!"

Written 20/02/07

No comments: